GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:19:26 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's OpEd Column 90127  (Read 16405 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's OpEd Column 90127
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:54:53 pm »

Seven Habits of Highly-Effective Agents, by VC, the GE:S Weaponsmith.

Goldeneye Source Beta 3 brings for the first time Goldeneye combat and gunplay rules to the PC FPS arena. As we all know, Goldeneye is great because it is different, but this also means old techniques developed over years of Doom, UT, Quake, and TF2 don't apply anymore.  I present herein a primer to get you up to speed.

1. Don't spam.
Goldeneye damage is very large per-strike with even the pistols earning 50% damage for a headshot, but any strike grants the victim a moment of protection from further damage.  During that time, extra bullets that strike are worth zero.  Short bursts will keep your ammo use frugal and are as, or more, effective at defeating the opposition.

2. Aim.
Your victim gets the same moment of protection no matter where you hit him. If you spam and hit his arms, he will last a very long time.  You are almost always better served by taking a moment and using your sights to aim properly than just holding the trigger and charging like a fool.

3. Reload.
Weapons are not a free magazine anymore. In keeping with Goldeneye standards, a weapon is a pickup with a low ammo value. If you pick up an RC-P90 and have no 9mm in your pocket, you have 10 bullets because that's all RC-P90 comes with. Check your weapon's magazine before going into battle, and think of your teammates, too. Let your buddy have the weapon your last victim dropped, and don't suck up all the ammo crates and leave your team standing around waiting on the resupply.

4. Choose the Right Tool.
Because all weapon damages are large, you will choose your gun based on the situation, not the power level.  In Alpha, it was a very simple progression. PP7S < ZMG < KF7 < AShot < AuG.  With Beta 3, you will be choosing your weapon based on combat ranges and weapon abilities.  Shotguns are good if you can get near melee range, but start to feel like Klobb from down the hall.  PP7-S or Phantom?  Phantom is less accurate and the PP7-S is silenced, so PP7-S is better on Runway surface, but in the underhalls, the Phantom is the clear winner.

5. Don't be afraid to use melee.
Slapping isn't exactly savage, but you certainly can bring down a foe who's unaware and weakened. Just don't try to chase him down while he fires on you, go find a weapon instead. If the server gives you hunting knife (ge_startarmed 1) you can do some serious damage.

6. Don't get ganked while waiting on an item respawn.
One change in Goldeneye Source is that weapon respawns are dynamic.  Fewer players mean longer resupply times.  If there are only two or three players, items will wait more than 20 seconds to respawn. If the server is packed, respawn times will decrease toward 10 second intervals.

7. Use your sights.
Goldeneye 007 has a very complicated system that handles the "breathing effect." Your view and line of aim drifts around, and the amount depends on your activity. If you run around, you will drift a lot. If you stand still, the drift decreases.  We haven't implemented this behavior, but we have implemented a surrogate.  In simplest terms, using your sight will increase your accuracy.  This is particularly noticable with high-accuracy weapons like Golden Gun, and with the pistols. However, every weapon benefits from being sighted, even the shotguns and the Klobb.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 08:45:02 pm by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
Re: VC's OpEd Column 90127
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 08:37:16 pm »

Official Guide to playing GoldenEye: Source!
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:30:51 pm »

Official Guide to playing GoldenEye: Source!

This is great. I think you should post a PDF version of the official Goldeneye: Source manual. :D

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:52:27 pm »

Write a Book: GES for Dummies/Noobs

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 09:52:53 pm »

Nice Guide VC. So the effect of the gun swaying depending on how much you run when you use your sites has or hasn't been implemented yet? I got confused near the end. Thanks

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:14:26 pm »

It hasn't been implemented yet.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 01:23:52 am »

It should never be, this is PC. My opinion, but ill fight for it :P

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 12:25:45 am »

why should it never be? Because it's PC? What does that have to do with it? It just makes sense that if you are running around a lot that it would harder to shoot the other person because you aren't shooting right on perfectly. I don't know, just my two cents.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

pod0087

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:16:11 am »

Goldeneye damage is very large per-strike with even the pistols earning 50% damage for a headshot, but any strike grants the victim a moment of protection from further damage.  During that time, extra bullets that strike are worth zero.  Short bursts will keep your ammo use frugal and are as, or more, effective at defeating the opposition.

2. Aim.
Your victim gets the same moment of protection no matter where you hit him. If you spam and hit his arms, he will last a very long time.  You are almost always better served by taking a moment and using your sights to aim properly than just holding the trigger and charging like a fool.

Is there any command to disable this 'protection' mechanism?

Edit: I realise the wiki server commands page shows commands to disable them, but they are unrecognized.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 11:32:21 am by pod0087 »

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 12:37:21 pm »

@pod0087: the protection shouldn't be disabled. It was part of the original and it not only discourages you to spam but also encourages you to time your shots and improve your accuracy, making the gameplay more strategic and less "Run and Gun". That's just my opinion, of course.

pod0087

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:59:18 pm »

@pod0087: the protection shouldn't be disabled. It was part of the original and it not only discourages you to spam but also encourages you to time your shots and improve your accuracy, making the gameplay more strategic and less "Run and Gun". That's just my opinion, of course.

Yes, I'm aware of what you're saying and agree with keeping the remake faithful to the original, but sometimes it's frustrating, and I'd like to be able to modify the protection values (not necessarily just disabling it).

Apparently the modders also thought something along these lines with the wiki showing the commands that *should* do it, even though they're unrecognized commands by the engine.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 04:05:04 pm »

Edit: I realise the wiki server commands page shows commands to disable them, but they are unrecognized.

Play LTK, one shot one kill

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 04:09:15 pm »

If anything, it's too low.  Misbehaving Forces set it to 0.500 default instead of 0.666.  This altered the behavior of shotguns somewhat.  I was argued that the extra time made battles take too long, but playing Beta 3 so far, I don't think it would make skilled battles longer, but it would reduce the effectiveness of RCP90 death-beaming.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 04:12:30 pm »

6. Don't get ganked while waiting on an item respawn.
One change in Goldeneye Source is that weapon respawns are dynamic.  Fewer players mean longer resupply times.  If there are only two or three players, items will wait more than 20 seconds to respawn. If the server is packed, respawn times will decrease toward 10 second intervals.

I did not know this :D This is good stuff.. Thanks. i hope i can go 50-3 like i've seen VC go   :angel:

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 04:18:19 pm »

Where are you looking on the wiki because it's not the right location??
http://wiki.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/Beta_3_Release_Documentation#Server_Variables_and_Commands
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up