GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 12:13:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 90222  (Read 22685 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Laboratory 90222
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:49:47 pm »

First of all, I owe an apology to BigBird for my distasteful F10 today.  But I'm sick of seeing skilled players drag out the jumphax in what I consider to be honorable dueling.

For the unenlightened, this is what it looks like. http://www.mediafire.com/?zzxnfzhzim2

Needless to say, I told KM to fix this shit and he hasn't yet (that film is from the 3.1 Current build) and that makes me doubly pissed.  And it's all Valve's doing... same crap happens in CSS though to a lesser degree since motion in CSS is handled rather differently.

Now, for the fun stuff.  I've been doing my best to irritate Lodle about my demands upon his little LUA scripts, which isn't saying much since I can do that in my sleep, and am working towards getting Live and Let Die cobbled together.  If Valve keeps breaking our server list and delays 3.1 enough, it might be done in time, but most likely it will wait a little longer.  I expect the encrypted (CTX) version of the script could be dropped in by server hosts, so if the engine support is complete by 3.1, perhaps the L&LD script can become a little bonus pack sorta thingie in a few weeks.

I've been doing some math.  Goldeneye 007 is really hard to get a read on. For example, the quad-column room in Basement seems to have columns that are 45.34 inches wide.  How much more arbitrary can you get?  Well, inside that room, the area south of the four columns is 1.5 inches wider than the north lane.  Plus, the east wall of that room is the only wall I found that's exactly on-grid.  Everything else has a decimal point that turns to chaos as float precision is only good for about six, maybe seven significant figures.

I think I'll just go gray and call it a day.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
Re: VC's Laboratory 90222
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:15:09 am »

Awesomeness.

Just keep on pushing em like i know you do bro it'll eventually get somewhere. -.-

[smiteKM]

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:38:24 am »

He'll just reset it if you do.

While I wait for Lodle to re-enable scarecrows, I'm writing C++ code.  I need to build up a lot of good coding so I will be able to resist putrification when I return to L&LD and the BASICesque junk that stands between its creation and myself.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:52:43 am »

Heh, as an artist, I create columns by creating a cylinder and scaling it up until it looks right, and then sometimes selecting individual vertices and moving them individually.  If you tried to adhere to mathematical guidelines when modeling, you'd be slow as hell, and probably go insane pretty quickly.
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 12:58:33 am »

You just explained Egypt and Greece.

You know 007's geometry is super-basic BSP.  Hell, it's hardly that.  Catwalks have zero thickness and collision with the ground is handled by moving from one portal to another.  If you force yourself to relocate vertically (up through other stories or down into the ground) you will be smoothly corrected toward the appropriate altitude for a second or two.

I can only guess their editor displayed a grid that didn't have an exact unit-pixel ratio and they just aligned by the dots on-screen.

Bui

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Bui has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 01:06:47 am »

How do you determine inches from something that doesn't have a concept of real-world measurement in the first place? Do you assign a certain number of inches to an arbitrary object or number of pixels and use that to decide dimensions? Does software determine this somehow?

I'm curious as to how you arrived at those numbers.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 01:23:45 am »

Basement seems to have columns that are 45.34 inches wide.

Note the CYA. I was really hoping they would be 48, but that doesn't seem to work out right.  I'm also curious if the vertical scale is a little different.  The ceiling/floor distances seem kinda arbitrary, like the walls. Except for that one that's perfectly aligned.

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 01:48:03 am »

Heh, as an artist, I create columns by creating a cylinder and scaling it up until it looks right, and then sometimes selecting individual vertices and moving them individually.  If you tried to adhere to mathematical guidelines when modeling, you'd be slow as hell, and probably go insane pretty quickly.

QFT on that one. I could never see myself trying to do things by mathematical guidelines. Thats the great thing about being an Artist, is that you create, and don't have to follow the rules....all the time anyway.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:53:46 am »

:eyeroll:

All the great artists used math.  The whole renaissance was about math and science being accepted as serious business.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 02:17:14 am »

QFT on that one. I could never see myself trying to do things by mathematical guidelines. Thats the great thing about being an Artist, is that you create, and don't have to follow the rules....all the time anyway.

I think that's why I'm still having trouble grasping modeling... everything I do, I'm trying to align to some other point, or to a grid, as if I were in Hammer. Next time I'll make sure not too worry so much about where I'm throwing my verticies...
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 03:08:14 am »

Haha careful SSL... i can almost hear the bad meshflow screaming at you xD

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 03:18:55 am »

Meshflow is for suits and squares, man. Stop harshing his buzz.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 03:30:00 am »

Heh, being precise about placement and dimensions can be useful in some situations,  but column diameters in a game isn't one of them. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 03:38:25 am »

Tell that to anyone who has played Complex in GES 3.0.

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 04:26:02 am »

At first I thought you were talking about library/basement_classic, but then quickly realized you were talking about the original game.
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up